IPv6 Killer Apps (Re: IPv6 traffic data in Asian networks?)

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Fri Mar 23 11:22:37 CET 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Tim Chown wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 05:54:19PM +0000, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>>
>> http://www.viagenie.ca/publications/2006-10-26-astricon-asterisk-ipv6.pdf
>> does detail that it should exist though. Marc any updates?
>> As this definitely is something very interesting to have.
>
> as would v6 bittorrent.   I have heard of patches for this, but not yet
> in the official distribution?   Would be interested to know as in principle
> the bittorrent model would work much nicer without nat...

There is patch available for old version of Bittorent
http://ipv6.niif.hu/index.php?mn=3&sm=9&lg=en#Bittornado (the page is
slightly outdated.)

But I recommend using bittornado which supports IPv6 out of the box.
However it has some problem when tracker enforcing compact model. To
overcome this issues there is a small patch in FreeBSD port tree.

Also Azureus was capable of handling IPv6.

The biggest problem I think is to provide tracker via ipv6. We had one in
http://ipv6.niif.hu/index.php?mn=3&sm=10&lg=en

Currently not running.... - 1-2 years ago there was 4-5 download per
month - therefore we decided to shut down.

If you are interested we can setup some free stuff (Free ISO images) to
track....

Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate, Head of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F  4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882