IPv6 Killer Apps (Re: IPv6 traffic data in Asian networks?)

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Fri Mar 23 11:08:43 CET 2007

Tim Chown wrote:

>> http://www.viagenie.ca/publications/2006-10-26-astricon-asterisk-ipv6.pdf
>> does detail that it should exist though. Marc any updates?
>> As this definitely is something very interesting to have.
> as would v6 bittorrent.   I have heard of patches for this, but not yet
> in the official distribution?   Would be interested to know as in principle
> the bittorrent model would work much nicer without nat...

That works fine since ages, both BitTornado (that is the enhanced
version of the old official python Bittorrent client, unfortunately they
did not resync to Bittorrent 4.0 or so) and Azureus (the java thing, I
would say that is the most commonly used client out there) work fine
with IPv6-only. Mixed environment might be harder, but nothing impossible.

Only problem is that you need to find a tracker that supports IPv6
(Bittornado bttrack for example) and has IPv6 connectivity. I was not
successful so far convincing any of the legal Bittorrent content
providers to try that :-(

Regards,
Bernhard