BCP for multisite multihoming

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue Jul 24 04:33:41 CEST 2007

On 21-jul-2007, at 10:27, John Payne wrote:

> Geo addressing sounds interesting on the surface, but every
> proposal seems to require a new economic model. I find it difficult
> to believe that will happen anytime soon.

As the saying goes, there are many ways to skin a cat. If you hand
over the packets with destinations in a certain region to an entity
that handles that region, such as an internet exchange, then you're
indeed using a different economical model than we use today.

But you can also do all the geo stuff in your own network. For
instance, if you have a world wide network, you could split the world
into 10 pieces and handle routing for each of those regions only
within the region. The other regions then use an aggregate to get the
packets to the right region. You would of course have to peer with
other networks within these regions or break aggregation. But then,
if you have a world wide network you're almost certainly peering in
more than 10 places as it is anyway.

> The other problem with using IXs that immediately comes to mind is
> that you are essentially multihoming to a single piece of
> infrastructure. Not really resilient in my mind :)

Exchanges are often layer 2 networks, which aren't very resilient.
But money and engineering talent can fix these problems.