BCP for multisite multihoming

John Payne john at sackheads.org
Sat Jul 21 17:27:29 CEST 2007

On Jul 21, 2007, at 10:30 AM, Roger Jorgensen <rogerj at jorgensen.no>
wrote:

> On Fri, 20 Jul 2007, Carlos Garcia Braschi wrote:
>> 2007/5/23, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com>:
> <snip>
>>> BTW the same is true of geographic addressing - as Iljitsch
>>> says, it isn't hard technically. What has been lacking for the
>>> last 15 years is a financial incentive.
>>
>> I'm not sure if this has been proposed already, but what if we did
>> geographic addressing but assigned the addresses to
>> interconnect/peering points? (requiring that they be used to cover
>> the
>> region the IX is in, and that among all the peering partners manage
>> exchange locally the un-aggregated routing tables).
>>
>> Those would act as LIR / RIR for all ISPs connected to them and would
>> have incentive to promote the idea... as it promotes fidelity of
>> their
>> peering customers and gives them more service.
>>
>> It also allows the model to be applied in a more step-by-step fashion
>> (there is no need to agree on that model worldwide).
>>
>> Any IX listening would like the idea?
>
> if anyone look into geo-addressing it would maybe not be the best to
> locate it around IXes. It is the setup we know best right now but
> what about thinking about further down the road? let the "tax-
> authorizies" or something similar in the countries/region do the
> work or something?
>
> what I mean, it would be just simple to just let the IX do it (if
> they want to), but maybe it would be better to consider it in a
> bigger scope and some years down the line? Maybe IX would be the
> first out of many step towards geo-addressing..

Geo addressing sounds interesting on the surface, but every proposal
seems to require a new economic model. I find it difficult to believe
that will happen anytime soon.

The other problem with using IXs that immediately comes to mind is
that you are essentially multihoming to a single piece of
infrastructure. Not really resilient in my mind :)