APNIC IPv6 transit exchange

Terry Manderson terry at apnic.net
Sun Dec 2 21:38:50 CET 2007

Hi Alexander,

Your comments are much appreciated, not revolutionary - but worth
saying. :-)

I think I need to clarify the documentation published (and will do so
as soon as I am free of an airline lounge). The Postel line of "be
liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send" applies.
The APNIC v6TE will happily accept full table from any, and pass such
to those who want to see transit. Alternatively peers may also just
take the direct sourced routes from the "other" participating AS's.

The reason that I ask for as many offers of transit for this service is
to pinpoint ISPs who are indeed capable of being a true IPv6 transit
operator. It will always be far better for them to do it than an RIR.
That is plainly accepted. Problem is, and I've eluded to this
previously - the state of transit affairs in the region, for the entire
region (not just our advanced friends in Japan etc) is pretty dismal
given the v4 exhaustion predictions.

Clearly (and some astute emails have already identified this) the v6TE
is a bootstrap mechanism for in-region v6. For those organisations and
networks who can't easily secure a relationship with an ISP for v6. Any
engineer worth their salt can enumerate the issues with tunnel and
overlay networks. Surely people can understand the life-cycle being
promoted here? 1) Naive network wants v6, joins v6TE. 2) network
engineers get experience with it, realise tunnels and non-native trunks
are horrible. 3) network engineers find a better transit arrangement
and institutionalise v6. 4) network leaves the APNIC v6TE as it
provides no benefit.

In short, I don't expect the v6TE to exist more than 5 years.. in fact,
if it does it signals the failure of v6 in-region (you will probably
flay me for this, but the demonstrated need for the v6TE to exist tends
to highlight a failure of sorts in v6 adoption). If the v6TE is proven
to be superfluous in less than 5 years than I'll call it successful in
what it is geared to do - improve the use and awareness of IPv6 in the
entire AP region.

Further, if some operators wish to de-preference the v6TE AS, I won't
argue against them - if fact I encourage sensible engineering efforts.
For those who wish to take a more extremist approach and block all
paths that are seen from the v6TE, that is certainly your choice.
Helping v6 adoption? I don't know. I would like to think you can catch
more bees with honey, than vinegar.

Cheers
Terry

Terry Manderson                         email:      terry at apnic.net