www6 ?

Petra Zeidler zeidlerp at cw.net
Fri Apr 20 16:33:26 CEST 2007

Thus wrote Rémi Denis-Courmont (rdenis at simphalempin.com):

> Side note...
>
> Le vendredi 20 avril 2007 15:52, Petra Zeidler a écrit :
> > -That- isn't what I mean. I was writing about -names- not -systems-.
> > Take a dual-stacked system that does www:
> >
> > www	IN	A	10.2.3.4
> > 	IN	AAAA	fe80::1:2:3:4
> > www4	IN	A	10.2.3.4
> > www6	IN	AAAA	fe80::1:2:3:4
>
> Hmm, that's a very unfortunate example. You should really use
> 192.0.2.0/24 and 2001:db8::/32 if you do not want to put real public
> addresses.
>
> Putting link-local addresses in the DNS is not only discouraged, it does
> not work on most platforms, because the DNS resolver does not scope
> link-local addresses when it returns them to applications...

I would have had to look up the use-in-documentation spaces, but knew
the obviously-not-really-usable spaces by heart, and I assume that
most readers of this list would also immediately recognise 10/8 and linklocal.
This list is not a book for beginners, is it? :)

[...]

> Well yeah, but then www.ipvX already has more traction than wwwX, if
> less convenient.

I've only seen it as www.ipv6, not as www.ipv4, and in that version it's
pretty useless if v6 is what is not working -and- you have both address
families on your main address. Your experience may of course differ.

regards,
	Petra
--
i.A. Petra Zeidler, OSS     Phone: +49 89 92699 0       FAX: +49 89 92699 802
Cable & Wireless Telecommunication Services GmbH