www6 ?

Rémi Denis-Courmont rdenis at simphalempin.com
Fri Apr 20 16:06:53 CEST 2007

Side note...

Le vendredi 20 avril 2007 15:52, Petra Zeidler a écrit :
> -That- isn't what I mean. I was writing about -names- not -systems-.
> Take a dual-stacked system that does www:
>
> www	IN	A	10.2.3.4
> 	IN	AAAA	fe80::1:2:3:4
> www4	IN	A	10.2.3.4
> www6	IN	AAAA	fe80::1:2:3:4

Hmm, that's a very unfortunate example. You should really use
192.0.2.0/24 and 2001:db8::/32 if you do not want to put real public
addresses.

Putting link-local addresses in the DNS is not only discouraged, it does
not work on most platforms, because the DNS resolver does not scope
link-local addresses when it returns them to applications...

> > Do you expect an end user to type in www4 instead of www if www
> > does not work?
>
> If it were a sufficiently well-known, reliably-present work-around
> for dual stacked systems I would expect users that know that their
> networking is partially broken to learn about it. It's sometimes
> amazing how fast workarounds travel if they actually work :) (which
> would mean no reference to the site name in the pages so
> site-internal links work for www, f.e.).

Well yeah, but then www.ipvX already has more traction than wwwX, if
less convenient.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont