IPv6 content experiment

Carlos Friacas cfriacas at fccn.pt
Mon Apr 9 12:39:06 CEST 2007

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, Kevin Day wrote:

> My hope is that people will willingly start working with IPv6 before it's too
> late, rather than being forced into it by IPv4 exhaustion. There are benefits
> in IPv6 for everyone, and if I can show that it's not going to hurt content
> providers to start using it, maybe more will.

That's the general trend when promoting IPv6 usage/deployment, yes.
And afaik, the content provider bit is in fact the easiest...

>> My experience says this is a very ugly path... e.g. i've recently seen a
>> slide from Microsoft about Vista, and teredo is the last resort option for
>> IPv6-only p2p applications. ISATAP and 6TO4 show up before Teredo...
>>

> I don't believe it's perfect either, but there are many who claim that it's
> easy for end users to do.

That's a strong misconception... granny X, lawyer Y and bank cashier Z
will certainly have a hard time setting up a connection to a tunnel
broker. However, tekkie kids will do it easier... and that's why the
content involved in the experiment is somewhat a big risk.

> So, by putting some very desirable content up on
> IPv6 only, and giving links to the current/existing IPv6 HOWTO documents,
> lets see how many inexperienced users are able to do it? If they do have
> problems, what can we do to improve it?
>
> I'm sure there are going to be some users stuck on IPv4 connectivity long
> after the rest of the world has moved to IPv6. Is it really that simple for a
> Vista user to access IPv6 only content? If not, why?

Hmmm... that's really an innovative insight...

>> I guess that isn't entirely an original idea... that's also trying to push
>> the need for IPv6 to the end-user field, when deploying IPv6 should be
>> mostly an ISP-driven task/requirement/issue...!
>
> I agree, but I'm trying to respond to the notion that IPv6 is ready for the
> world to use, it's just a matter of content being put up on it to get the
> ball rolling. I honestly don't have an opinion either way on that statement,
> I'd prefer to find out. :)

v6 is ready for ISP deployment and *AFTER* that for seamless usage... the
first part is a long way of happening, so it's kind of easy to find out
what will be experienced by end-users.

>>> How many are actually able to get on IPv6 if they want?
>>
>> Bad quality IPv6... everyone with minimum technical skills, imho. It's just
>> a matter of enabling the OS, and finding a tunnel broker.
>
> I hope so, but I think you'd be surprised at how difficult it is for a
> non-technical user to even grasp the concepts.

yes. that's why i wrote "minimum technical skills". apart from that,
average user joe will have a hard time, and will easily/quickly quit it.

> I'd rank "installing an
> alternative video codec" far easier than "set up an IPv6 tunnel broker
> connection", and we've all but given up trying to get our end users to do
> that.

yep. 110% agree ;-)

...and i'm also interested in seeing what will happen with networks
providing tunnel brokers, if a sufficient amount of users is in fact able
to make it. :-)

------------------------

On Apr 9, 2007, at 4:42 AM, Carlos Friacas wrote:

>> Hi again,
>>
>> Now that i've followed the link...... imho, the type of content
>involved can possibly generate:
>> - (good) a great amount of data to be analized
>
>It's about the only thing I can think of that will guarantee a large
>number of people trying desperately to access it, that isn't only going
>to cover a subset of the Internet population who probably already knows
> how to configure IPv6.

hope you got the proper copy rights in place for this experiment too, and
that you can come up with a really good awareness plan for the
experiment... otherwise you will only get v6 geeks cooperation -- and
that's not the main goal, is it?

>> - (bad) negative publicity for IPv6 by associating the next generation
>> internet protocol to that *type of content*
>
>I think the internet as a whole already has that reputation, but I'm
>aware
>of the connotations behind this. :) The end user visible site will go
>through great pains to explain that there's more to IPv6 than that kind
>of
>content.

partly yes, however the (v4) internet also handles a great deal of
"proper" content -- news, e-commerce, instant messaging, e-mail, and so
on...

>> It's a courageous experiment... hope there will be also the usual way
>>of preventing access to certain types of audiences.
>>
>> It also comes to mind that netnanny-type software can also become
>> IPv6-aware following this experiment ;-)))
>
>I've already tested the "insert specific META tags in the page" method of
>announcing the type of content the page contains, and all the content
>filters I was able to test were fine with blocking it on IPv4 and IPv6. I
>will send a heads-up email to all the major content filtering companies
>to let them know about this experiment before it launches, so they can do
>their own testing if they choose to.
>
>-- Kevin

if the experiment in the end get a bit inconclusive, at least you might
have helped content filtering software to be v6-aware. and that's
something positive by itself :-)

Cheers,

Carlos Friac,as                                            See:
Wide Area Network Working Group (WAN)                      www.gigapix.pt
FCCN - Fundacao para a Computacao Cientifica Nacional      www.ipv6.eu
Av. do Brasil, n.101                                       www.6diss.org
1700-066 Lisboa                                            www.geant2.net
Tel: +351 218440100 Fax: +351 218472167
www.fccn.pt
  The end is near........ see http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html
  "Internet is just routes (216399/730), naming (billions) and... people!"

Aviso de Confidencialidade
Esta mensagem e' exclusivamente destinada ao seu destinatario, podendo
conter informacao CONFIDENCIAL, cuja divulgacao esta' expressamente
vedada nos termos da lei. Caso tenha recepcionado indevidamente esta
mensagem, solicitamos-lhe que nos comunique esse mesmo facto por esta
via ou para o telefone +351 218440100 devendo apagar o seu conteudo
de imediato.

Warning
This message is intended exclusively for its addressee.
It may contain CONFIDENTIAL information protected by law. If this
message has been received by error, please notify us via e-mail or by
telephone +351 218440100 and delete it immediately.