Ubuntu Linux - Suggestions needed

David Malone dwmalone at maths.tcd.ie
Mon Apr 2 21:35:50 CEST 2007

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 09:11:57PM +0200, Andrew Alston wrote:
> So, having discussed this with one of their developers, I said I'd put the
> question to this list, what suggestions do we have that will facilitate the
> following:
>
> a.) Not impact of fallback / resolution speeds on non-v6 enabled networks,
> networks that filter v6 responses, and points where there are cheap dsl
> routers that force a timeout on a request of a quad-a record rather than
> returning NXDOMAIN

I know that a certain amount of these problems were mitigated in
FreeBSD by looking up the A record first and the AAAA record second
and then sorting them before returning them to the application. You
could proably also base the timeout for the AAAA lookup in the
response time for the A record, if you wanted to avoid cheap DSL
routers that didn't respond. You can ignore NXDOMAIN responses
for the AAAA record if you got a good response for the A record.

	David.