New ARIN ipv6 allocation policies

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Thu Sep 7 11:38:36 CEST 2006

On 7-sep-2006, at 11:12, Nick Hilliard wrote:

>> There are currently 1353.47 million IPv4 addresses unused

> Unused, unassigned or unannounced?

All three. If you look at http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-
address-space you should find that 59 /8s (989.86 million addresses)
are currently "reserved" but not for any particular reason so they're
available to be used.

119 /8s (1996.49 million addresses) are delegated to the RIRs, of
which 1633.44 million addresses are further delegated as per the info
on the RIR FTP servers, so that leaves another 363.05 million RIR
stash addresses unused, for a total of 1352.91 million. (Yes, another
0.56 million addresses used up since yesterday!)

> (pondering the consequences of redesignating 240/4)

Currently we're using around 170 million addresses per year, so that
would give us another 1.5 years. Note though that some IP
implementations, most notably Windows, don't accept class E addresses
so it will take a significant amount of time before those would be
usable.