New ARIN ipv6 allocation policies

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Fri Sep 1 10:19:12 CEST 2006

On 1-sep-2006, at 7:51, Doug Barton wrote:

> I'm glad to see that the final wording
> of this new policy also adopted what I believe is the most sensible
> criteria, that the end site "qualify for an IPv4 assignment or
> allocation
> from ARIN under the IPv4 policy currently in effect." To me, that
> proposal
> always made the most sense both because it's the easiest for ARIN
> staff to
> administer, and because it puts IPv6 on par with IPv4 in all the
> ways that
> matter.

Yes, the fact that IPv4 is a big mess and now IPv6 gets the chance to
become one as well is very sensible. Never mind all the work in the
IETF to come up with something that works better in the long run.

But why am I complaining, I don't have to pay for those bigger routers.

And maybe now we'll finally see these words removed from http://
www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#ipv6 that haven't reflected reality for
at least three years:

     6.4.3. Minimum Allocation

     RIRs will apply a minimum size for IPv6 allocations, to

     facilitate prefix-based filtering.

     The minimum allocation size for IPv6 address space is /32.