6BONE shutdown

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Tue May 9 11:48:08 CEST 2006

On 8-mei-2006, at 17:29, Pim van Pelt wrote:

> | For customers, it's straightforward, and for peers, it should be
> possible
> | to convince them to make their customers stop announcing 3FFE space.

> Possible, but only if a handful of engineers spend a truckload of
> their
> valuable time educating people who should know better but probably
> don't give a damn. I'm affraid I'm not going to choose that route,
> mostly because I have heard several 6BONE individuals openly state
> that
> they are not going to return 6BONE space as long as it works.

One thing that IPv6 people generally don't get: if you give people
the choice between doing something and doing nothing, and doing
nothing doesn't have _significantly_ worse results, 99% of all people
will do nothing.

Why should I spend time updating my configurations to get rid of my
3ffe:2500:310::/48 block? Unlike ip6.int it doesn't get in anyone's
way, so all of this is a big waste of time for everyone involved.

But if you're really looking for something to do: why don't you set
up your stuff such that it prefers non-6bone space over 6bone?

Iljitsch