Cisco 6500 IOS - IPv6 BGP Peering Image

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Tue Apr 25 17:02:49 CEST 2006

Ross W wrote:

Hi,

> We'll be coming online with IPv6 bgp transit from Teleglobe (tunnelled)
> as well as doing native peering at TorIX in the next little while into a
> 6500 720/3bxl box.
>
> But before we turn it on, the box is allocated for a software update
> from it's current 12.2.17dSXB7 (which has been stable) to something more
> modern.  And this is where I'm curious if anyone has any good or bad
> stories with the IPv6 capabilities that they are willing to share about
> current IOS images that are available.

We run 12.2(18)SXD<latest> on Sup720a and did not have big issues so
far. Very seldomly we have an interface where router advertisements
don't get send (although debug claims it is), but I haven't seen that
for the last few months. SXE gave us some issues with IPv4 as well
(mostly on boxes running the old X6408-GBIC cards), we haven't tried SXF
in production so far.

I'm missing IPv6 netflow export and IPv6 multicast AFI in BGP, but
despite that we're perfectly happy with the performance this box
delivers. It does not feel like a cisco *g*

Regards,
Bernhard