N reasons for not deploying ipv6 (was: Re: [narten@us.ibm.com:PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN])

Eric Klein ericlklein at softhome.net
Mon Apr 17 19:46:35 CEST 2006

Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> That's a fairy tale. There is no country-based discrimination in effect.

I am not claiming that there is any discrimination going on, just that when
a full class C addresses was allocated for 60k schools and an unknown number
of end-users then there is a real shortage starting.

No, we are not out of addresses yet, and yes CIDR has done wonders for
holding back the tide, but we do really need the additional addresses of
IPv6 - not to mention the other advances that are included.

But there is a perception (mostly in the US) that there is no problem and it
will be too expensive to upgrade/replace existing hardware.

Yes it will be expensive, but there is a problem and IPv6 is a solution. NAT
is not.