[narten@us.ibm.com: PI addressing in IPv6 advances in ARIN]

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Sun Apr 16 20:20:21 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 19:57 +0200, Sascha Lenz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jeroen Massar schrieb:
> [...]
> > [..]
> >> Apart from anything else, PI ipv6 space will completely undermine shim6,
> >> which will now die the painful death it deserves.  And I don't see how
> >> anyone could argue that this is a bad thing.
> >
> > *pssst* you clearly haven't noticed yet that shim6, and similar
> > solutions, need an identifier, and that so called "PI space" is perfect
> > to be used for it. It will only make deploying those thing easier as it
> > won't be difficult getting a globally unique address space now.
>
> so, what's the overall problem?

There *is* no problem with "IPv6 PI"...

> Every idea to save some prefixes in the default free zone table is
> welcome...call it shim6 or routing based on geographics or whatever.

My thoughts exactly.

> New multi-homing ideas are just another reason _for_ IPv6 PI Address
> space, because with people who don't really need fully-fledged BGP
> routing having other options, the DFZ stays yet again smaller anyways!
>
> The only thing I am saying (and probably most of the other IPv6 PI
> promoters, too) is, that there _must_ be a way for everyone to get
> world-wide routable IPv6 Address Prefixes if he/she/it knows what
> he/she/it's doing and really wants this, regardless of business size,
> LIR or not, money the have to spend or so called importance ("DNS root
> servers"..."Tier1 ISP"...$foo).

Agreed.

> If i see that a customer doesn't need or care about how his multi-homing
> solution is done, and i see another possibility to solve this than by
> getting an AS number and PI address space for him, i'll happily deploy
> the other solution.

The ASN's are the next problem that we'll hit. Lets hope that 32bit
ASN's will start working soon.

> So please, can't we just do both ways and everything is fine again?
> Probably we even can get IPv6 running before the next millennia is
> over...</sarcasm>

Yet again, my thoughts exactly.

I just tried to point out that the "IPv6 PI" is *not* a killer for any
solution like shim6. Some people then seem to think I have a problem
with the PI space..... oh well must be weekends ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen