IPv6 traffic metering

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Jun 9 11:16:02 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 11:04 +0200, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've a question about traffic metering with IPv6.
>
> Our core router is a FreeBSD system (we're a small ISP, so it's
> sufficient for us...).
>
> I'm looking for tools to count IPv6 packets/bytes based on flows
> that would run on such a system. We want to use it to do traffic
> metering and billing.

Check http://www.ipng.nl/software/yaps/ and don't forget to ask Pim for
Yana too

> We wrote our own for IPv4, based on tcpdump, and the question is
> now: Will we do those mods for v6 again or can we use something
> that has wider use ?

That of course depends completely on what you want and how custom you want it.
(I do hope you used libpcap instead of shelling around tcpdump ;)

Also see:
http://www.switch.ch/tf-tant/floma/software.html

And never forget: http://www.ntop.org ;)

Greets,