abilene -> he.net routing humor

James james at towardex.com
Sun Jun 5 21:25:02 CEST 2005

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 06:44:03PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 5-jun-2005, at 18:33, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>
> >Fortunately in 1 year + 1 day we won't have any 6bone junk left
> >anymore.
>
> That is nonsense, of course.
>
> I see no reason to return my 6bone space (although I'm not going to
> throw a hissy fit when my upstream takes it out of commission either).
>
> More importantly, the existence of the 6bone has nothing to do with
> bad routing. The reason this happens is:
>
> - people who don't know what they're doing are allowed to muck around
> with BGP in IPv6
> - people who know what they're doing don't care
> - hard to get native connectivity
>
> Maybe we need some peering over 1 or 2 hop tunnels in places where
> native peering can't be done for some reason.

With all due respect, let me correct you.

It is not the peering that you need.  It is _transit_, _transit_, _transit,
and again, transit that you need.

There are too many people in IPv6 today who have near-zero experience operating
a real backbone in IPv4 that they think peering is all that need to run teir
v6 network.  But no, they really need an upstream transit provider to make their
routing sane.  Ask your upstreams to support IPv6 or ask around for a free
upstream v6 service whether delivered over tunnel or native.  And stop giving
transit to your upstreams.  Give them access to your own network and stop there.

Tunnel does degrade the quality of v6 as we all know, but its not the tunneling
that is killing IPv6's quality today.  It is the lack of experience by people
thinking their network is Tier1 by throwing tunnels all around and full
swapping full routes over them.  Abilene unfortunately is an example of full
swapped network over native peers (KREONET, APAN) (no offense at all for folks
from Abilene, but I'm just stating the cold observatory fact).

And as Eric posted in his initial post, you can see how bad routing can get
even with native "peers".

-J

--
James Jun