Help again please Fwd: please fix your broken DNS server

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Fri Jul 8 23:20:49 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 10:46:31PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> On 8-jul-2005, at 18:32, Joseph T. Klein wrote:
>
> >Ken is now claiming other servers are broken, not his. He wants all
> >bind users to use allow-v6-synthesis to resolve the problem. So all
> >other DNS servers are broken, not his.
>
> This guy is insane. (60 second TTL for NS records anyone?)

It looks like those l*-isp[12] boxes are DNS load-balancers or
something like that. And this genre is as far as I know quite known for
having problems with stuff like IPv6 RRs. ;)

> Lesson for the IETF: this is what happens when you keep changing
> stuff on people.

One can blame many things on the IETF, but not the clue level and
attitude of DNS services operators out there. ;)

I think they are just running misbehaving software, probably even
closed-source shrinkwrap $BIGNUM $$$ stuff and don't bother to actually
read problem reports nor analyzing root causes and work with the vendor
to fix it.

Looking at the tone of the mails Joseph gets, they aren't willing to
admit they have a problem nor actually work on fixing it. I doubt that
this attitude is limited to DNS.

Best regards,
Daniel