London, UK IPv6 transit recommendations

Pierfrancesco Caci ik5pvx at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 19:09:42 CEST 2005

On 8/8/05, Daniel Roesen <dr at cluenet.de> wrote:
> Hi Pierfrancesco,
>
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 09:09:24PM +0200, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:
> > We are dealing with what I call a bug and cisco calls a feature
> > request, hence the partial view.
>
> Can you share details? Perhaps that prevents others in running into the
> same problem...

Relevant bug is CSCsb02664: in an MPLS/6PE setup, packets coming from
the MPLS cloud are not switched to an ipv6ip tunnel (and viceversa).
Traffic local to the router works regularly, hence BGP sessions go up
but your valued ipv6 packets get lost.
I'm with 12.0.(26)S6 and waiting for cisco to tell me in which version
they will include
this "feature", i.e. correctly passing the packets to/from ipv6ip tunnels.
My workaround will consist in terminating all those peerings that are
over a short tunnel
(those peerings that are not native because the partners's IPv6 router
is not the same
as the one where we have the PNI) on a 7200 which is not affected by
this bug, but
being located in Italy will make all the US peerings suboptimal.

Oh, of course all of this is on 12xxx routers.

Anther missing feature is that etherchannel doesn't support IPv6, thus limiting
the IXPs where we can pick up some peerings. Not related to the above.

Pf

--
 Pierfrancesco Caci | ik5pvx | mailto: ik5pvx at gmail.com  -  http://www.caci.it
     Firenze - Italia     | Office for the Complication of Otherwise