London, UK IPv6 transit recommendations

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Mon Aug 8 22:13:41 CEST 2005

Hi Jordi,

> My experience in different European countries has been very good with:

"very good" aka "does IPv6 at all"? For example

> - Teleglobe

I can currently not vouch for Teleglobe. They do IPv6 (in some places
where you are lucky even 6PE (~= native)), but have been unable to
provide a full routeset since almost a year

2001:5A0:701:1::1
          4  6453   18631    8165     3103    0    0 1d21h         544
2001:A60:0:201::1:1
          4  8767    6944    5446     3103    0    0 1d21h         606

both sessions are well filtered (no more specifics), so those are really
missing aggregates. For example almost all routes of european NRENs are
missing now for months (all that have only GEANT transit but none on
their own). And the most-taken way out of their network (besides some
peering in Amsterdam and Paris) is transatlantic through Viagenie, which
has most paths through Sprint and HE.net. Not the greatest connectivity
there.

> - Telia Sonera

Telia is mostly tunneled inside as far as I know and seems to have no
sane upstreams, and quite bad paths overall (check for 2001:2000::/20 in
grh.sixxs.net).

For the records, I've been so far very happy with my (Munich-only)
upstream M"net, which is itself mostly buying from Cable&Wireless (which
is a very good option for global IPv6 transit). They also have some GBLX
(currently tunneled) who are currently going to native deployment and do
have quite a reach themselves (no problems with them, too). Maybe you
get even more when you buy at some local supplier in London which
itselfs buys transit from sane global parties.

Bernhard