Consensus on MHAP/v6 Multi-homing

Cameron Gray cgray at netegral.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 15:39:18 CEST 2005

Daniel Austin wrote:
  > Bear in mind that each /32 is potentially 65536 /48 prefixes if allowed
> to send all their /48's.  People struggle enough already with only
> ~156000 prefixes in ipv4 land.

Agreed, but (in my mind, usual disclaimer) aggregation in IPv6 is far
easier?!!!!

Unlike now where 20% (at my last look, again disclaimer) of the prefixes
could be aggregated. Even with "PI" recipients it should only add 1 to
the table, not all the /64s (analoguous to ISPx announcing all the /24s
in a /19).

> An idea might be to have a specific /32 prefix that the RIR's can
> allocate/assign "PI" space from.  Whether or not they will do this and
> reasons for/against it is most likely covered by another mailing list.

Agreed, except they (well RIPE certainly) have stated there will be no
PI space.  Even LIRs that cannot plan to issue 200 /64s have to get
space from a LIR that can.

--

Best regards,

Cameron Gray