Consensus on MHAP/v6 Multi-homing

Daniel Austin daniel at kewlio.net
Wed Apr 20 15:35:05 CEST 2005

Cameron Gray wrote:
> Jeroen Massar wrote:
>

>> (PS: address-policy-wg at ripe.net anyone? :)
>>

> Well my original question was routing policy more than anything...
>
> I don't see why seperate /48s can't have seperate origins in much the
> same way that IPv4 works and IPv6 works for /32s.
>
> Other than the large(r) routing table.
>
> Is this the only reason?

Bear in mind that each /32 is potentially 65536 /48 prefixes if allowed
to send all their /48's.  People struggle enough already with only
~156000 prefixes in ipv4 land.

An idea might be to have a specific /32 prefix that the RIR's can
allocate/assign "PI" space from.  Whether or not they will do this and
reasons for/against it is most likely covered by another mailing list.

Thanks,

--

Daniel Austin,
Managing Director,