Reliable lan service

Jens Rosenboom jens.rosenboom at freenet-ag.de
Thu Apr 14 12:12:04 CEST 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:19:35AM +0100, Colin Whittaker wrote:
> Hello all, AS1213 here.
>
> I am currently trying to complete the last step in gving our IPv6
> network feature parity with the IPv4 network which is providing
> redundant lan gateway for our colocation and hosting customers and our
> own services. These would include our sixxs pop and our sourceforge
> download server along with the usual colection of network management /
> web / email servers.
>
> The current IPv4 HSRP gateways are Cisco 6500 with sup720s and one of
> these is the IPv6 gateway.
>
> All my googling has failed to turn up any recomendations for doing
> hsrp/vrrp with ipv6 except for a ietf draft from 2003.
>
> Has anyone else found a good solution to this.

What I have found in the Cisco docs, but didn't test yet, was the idea
of using an anycast address configured on all gateways, using that IP
as the default gateway on the hosts and letting ND take care of the
redundancy. Haven't really tested it, though, and it also looks like
the Juniper side of things is still missing.