Reliable lan service

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Thu Apr 14 11:50:14 CEST 2005

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:19:35AM +0100, Colin Whittaker wrote:
> Hello all, AS1213 here.

Hi Colin, nice to see you joined! Let Dave know too. ;)

> All my googling has failed to turn up any recomendations for doing
> hsrp/vrrp with ipv6 except for a ietf draft from 2003.
>
> Has anyone else found a good solution to this.

Unfortunately not. I know of no vendor who have implemented VRRPv6
yet. As far as I can see, best (only) thing you can do now is use
Router Advertisements with very short timers to announce default
routes to your hosts. You can limit RAs to just providing default,
not advertising stateless autoconfig capability if you don't want your
servers to do that.

Let's see what other folks here come up with... it's certainly an
interesting question.

Best regards,
Daniel