IPv4-Mapped IPv6 Address used in DNS with AAAA-records

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Fri Jul 28 16:43:49 CEST 2023

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 28, 2023 at 04:27:21PM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> > On 28 Jul 2023, at 15:56, Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:
> [..]
> > (*) OpenVPN ran into this in many interesting ways, with replies like
> > "oh we just forgot to implement this particular edge case" from kernel
> > developers...  in retrospective, we should all have followed the OpenBSD
> > approach to make v6-sockets v6, and v4-sockets v4, and disallow any
> > mixing.
>
> The reason for existence of that [..]

Oh, I do fully understand how we got there, and for OpenVPN, this means
we can still slack along without implementing proper multi-socket support
(pointing to kernel folks instead, and complaining about missing kernel
code paths...).

But as I said, in retrospective, code would be better if we had never
taken that shortcut - less rarely-used kernel code (which is never good),
and possibly even better socket APIs in userland to just take care of all
this sh*t...

gert

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279