IPv4-Mapped IPv6 Address used in DNS with AAAA-records

Thomas Schäfer thomas at cis.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Jul 28 10:04:52 CEST 2023

Hi,

Thank you for answers so far.
Since the support case is public and you may interested in bad
entertainment (today is SysAdminDay)

You can read it here:

https://forum.newrelic.com/s/hubtopic/aAX8W0000015BUvWAM/bamnrdatanet-resolves-with-wrong-aaaarecords

My today's highlight is:

"We did this to drive down the cost with our DNS provider. Queries for
AAAA records that didn't exist, followed by queries for A records, was
costing us significantly and we needed to alleviate that."

Just one comment to the players there:

"new relic" is providing that service to Postbank/DeutscheBank (and
probably more)

ns1, the service with high costs for none existing AAAA-Records, is a
IBM company.

Big companies big mistakes....

Have a nice weekend!

Thomas

--

There’s no place like ::1

Thomas Schäfer (Systemverwaltung)
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
Centrum für Informations- und Sprachverarbeitung
Oettingenstraße 67 Raum C109
80538 München ☎ +49/89/2180-9706  ℻ +49/89/2180-9701