Why used DHCPv6 when RA has RDNSS and DNSSL?

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Wed Apr 1 19:16:02 CEST 2020

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 01, 2020 at 05:53:02PM +0200, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Lorenzo Colitti <lorenzo at google.com> writes:
>
> > I'm not sure that the folks asking for IA_NA would be happy with IA_PD
> > though.
>
> Why don't you just try and see?  You have nothing to lose AFAICT.

I've said it on IETF discussions and will happily say it again - this
is a particular corner-case that might benefit developers running stacks
of VMs in VMs on their laptops, but I fail to see a real world argument
why this would be beneficial.

OTOH the cost to implement this on the network-side is significant.

Think "enterprise networks".  You have LANs, and members of those
networks.  Not "distribution machinery for arbitrary prefixes to be
doled out in places where you have no idea how many subnets of which
size you might need".

DHCPv6-PD has it's place in "connecting a client *network* to an
internet provider (wired/wireless/LTE/whatever)" but I totally fail
to see a positive benefit/cost analysis for anything else.

Even IETF discontinued recommending DHCPv6-PD for "inside a home network",
because it doesn't work.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279