Why used DHCPv6 when RA has RDNSS and DNSSL?

Lorenzo Colitti lorenzo at google.com
Wed Apr 1 03:11:30 CEST 2020

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 4:03 AM Gert Doering <gert at space.net> wrote:

> (What they *want* is "IPAM shows what IPv6 address is in use on which
> device in the network", which DHCPv6 would do nicely, including
> static assignments via DHCP reservations - while everything else
> relies on "IPv6/MAC ND logging on the router" or other disintegrated
> fumbling...)

Gert, have you asked why the solutions listed in Enno's blog post
<https://theinternetprotocolblog.wordpress.com/2020/03/14/does-one-need-dhcpv6/>
earlier in this thread don't work for them? Specifically, the router-based
IP snooping and NDP monitoring features in switch platforms? Is it just
that support for these features is patchy, and existing IPAMs do not
support them? Or is there some deeper problem? What can we do to make this
better? Yes, using IA_NA would address this particular need, but it has
disadvantages compared to SLAAC as well.