Why used DHCPv6 when RA has RDNSS and DNSSL?

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 00:24:09 CEST 2020

On 31-Mar-20 23:17, Mark Tinka wrote:

> On 31/Mar/20 12:09, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
>
>> Note that there have been multiple requests for DHCPv6 to do this but
>> every attempt has been shot down.
>
> Yep - thankfully, we have an option.
>
> Operating two address assignment protocols is just silly.
>
> At my house, I don't even bother with DHCPv6 for DNS. I just use the
> IPv4 ones and let SLAAC assign IPv6 addresses to my devices. Just about
> done with the purist madness around this.

There's purism (which I don't understand) and there's also historical
baggage that is incredibly hard to get rid of. As I have reminded from
time to time, SLAAC was designed and implemented for IPv6 *before* DHCP
became a proven technology for IPv4 (i.e. many of us were still running
around manually assigning IPv4 addresses to newly installed Suns and
NCDs and the like). DHCPv6 was an afterthought.

Unfortunately, the purism has made it impossible to have a rational
discussion about engineering our way out of this historical duplication.

On 01-Apr-20 05:01, Gert Doering wrote:

> As soon as you have a larger routed network, mDNS falls short, and
> (unless you have a windows domain) there are no existing mechanisms
> to put a SLAAC v6 address into DNS...

I think there's no *deployed* mechanism. DynDNS is said to work in the
lab. There's also some hope that DNS-SD will alleviate this problem,
but only if it gets deployed.

> Yes, thanks, IETF.  Well done.

It's not because nobody has tried. But the bridge between theory and
operations seems to be hard to cross.

On 01-Apr-20 07:21, James R Cutler wrote:

> Wouldn’t it be more cost effect in the long term to simply make SLAAC and DHCPv6 cooperative and complementary attributes of end-to-end networking?

Well, duh. What we need is more people with real operational smarts
able to spend a lot of time and patience in the IETF. Yes, I know
why that is hard. (I had operation smarts once; no longer.) But that
is the only way we we can get a pragmatic approach into RFC text.

Don't worry about the travel budget, because the IETF is going to
have to do much more of its work remotely for the next couple of years
anyway. But the time and patience investment is substantial.

Stay well,
   Brian Carpenter