ipv6-ops Digest, Vol 159, Issue 1

Matthew Huff mhuff at ox.com
Fri Oct 25 17:19:53 CEST 2019

This is part of one of the many reasons corporate acceptance of IPv6 is so low. The IPv6 design appears to be oriented toward residential, ISP, and public wifi usages, with little care to corporate needs. Not only is static IPs desired, but in many cases required by regulation (Auditing, access, etc...). Things like DHCPv6 not supporting DNS server announcements is a good example (it's available recently, but not across all platforms). Private address may be a great thing for residential / public wifi, etc... but must be disabled in many, if not all, corporate environments.

Also, we have found that many software vendors certify their products for IPv6, but as soon as the PR release is done, their devs no longer test with IPv6 and their tech support almost always recommend disabling it the first time you open a ticket.