ipv6-ops Digest, Vol 159, Issue 1

Gert Doering gert at space.net
Fri Oct 25 08:50:08 CEST 2019

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 09:02:44AM -0300, Fernando Gont wrote:
> As noted in the draft, the renumbered home network is one of many
> possible scenarios where the renumbering event occurs. While we can
> certainly recommend stable prefixes, I do think that the network should
> be robust in the presence of such events.

Right.  This is missing in the whole "only bad ISPs will ever give their
customers prefixes that are not stable" discussing - customers *change*
ISPs, and this should be as painless as it is in the IPv4+NAT world.

Thus, anything relying or implicitly assuming "IPv6 addresses are stable"
(in an unmanaged SoHo network) must be very much discouraged.

Maybe even dual-/48 multihoming can be made to work one day (and no, it
is not even working well in theory today, but even less so in practice with
the CPE implementations you can buy today).

Gert Doering
        -- Operator

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Michael Emmer
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279