A common problem with SLAAC in "renumbering" scenarios

Fernando Gont fgont at si6networks.com
Thu Jan 31 12:05:09 CET 2019

Folks,

We have posted a new I-D discussing a problem that can arise in typical
deployment scenarios where the CPE obtains a prefix via DHCPv6-PD and
advertises a prefix on the LAN side. We also propose a solution to the
aforementioned problem.

Our draft is available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-6man-slaac-renum

The Abstract is:
   A very common IPv6 deployment scenario is that in which a CPE employs
   DHCPv6 Prefix Delegation to obtain an IPv6 prefix, and at least one
   prefix from within the leased prefix is advertised on a local network
   via SLAAC.  In scenarios where e.g. the CPE crashes and reboots,
   nodes on the local network continue using outdated prefixes which
   result in connectivity problems.  This document analyzes this problem
   scenario, and proposes workarounds.

Any comments will be welcome.

Thanks!

Cheers,