IPv6 on VoLTE

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Nov 8 03:44:29 CET 2018

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018, Anurag Bhatia wrote:

> I recently got VoLTE from my provider (AS9498). I noticed that after
> VoLTE is enabled, device is creating two IPsec tunnels and also has
> IPv6 address on those IPsec tunnels.
>
> Was wondering if someone can point me to any paper/documentation on
> how VoLTE works and how this IPv6 over ipsec works in the background?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_LTE , there should be links to
the 3GPP specifications.

I have not heard of VoLTE using IPSEC, that's not how it was supposed to
work at least when I looked into this 5 years ago. Instead it should have
additional bearer on mobile interface to handle this traffic.

How are you identifying this as IPSEC tunnels? What kind of device is it
you're looking at?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se