question regarding over the counter devices

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Mar 1 08:06:02 CET 2017

Hi,

I just had a discussion with people from an ISP in the process of
implementing IPv6. They were afraid of turning on IPv6 for customers who
had purchased their own routers themselves, because these routers might
not have IPv6 firewalling on by default, thus exposing customers who used
to be "protected" by IPv4 NAT, to now be exposed with unfirewalled IPv6.

So my question:

Devices that people buy in electronics stores etc, do they even come with
IPv6 turned on by default?

If they do, is firewalling turned on by default?

My Apple Airport Express at least came with firewalling turned on, I don't
remember what the default setting was for IPv6 support. But if one turned
on IPv6 support, then one had to unclick the firewall clickbox to be able
to get incoming connections.

I'm going to check the devices I have in my boxes here at home, but in the
mean time would appreciate if others could share their experiences.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se