SV: CPE Residential IPv6 Security Poll

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Wed Sep 21 14:58:06 CEST 2016

On 2016-09-21 13:49, Benedikt Stockebrand wrote:
[..]
> There's a fairly large SIP operator (sipgate) here in Germany who for
> quite some time has told people that their service not working over
> DS-Lite was entirely a problem between the customer and their ISP,
> giving technical reasons you can quite likely figure out yourself.  With
> DS-Lite gaining more and more of a foothold here---and at least one
> major ISP slipstreaming that on existing lines without notifying the
> customers---technical explanations are exactly not what to tell people
> whose phones suddenly stopped working.
>
> Once you screw your customer relation up with this sort of stunt it
> takes a lot of time (and marketing) to fix that up again.

sipgate messed up by not upgrading to IPv6 (though, yeah find an IPv6
SIP capable device, they are quite rare ;) which they knew was coming
and could have solved, as that clearly is a business case
(still waiting for Gigaset to make IPv6 upgrades...)

... this while Liberty Global is abusing their monopoly in all of Europe
by forcing people (without notification or contract change; well they
did remove the word "IPv4" from their new contracts at one point) onto
DS-Lite because "we are out of IPv4" while their business customers, who
are paying significantly more, cannot even get IPv6 even though they are
asking for it.

Oh, and yes, poor people who don't get proper IPv4 anymore and are still
waiting for Sony to make a move to IPv6; though apparently at least IPv6
addresses are now being configured since 4.00; that quite breaks
multiplayer games though...

It is sad that people didn't bother to listen and that literally
thousands are now noticing how crappy the industry handled this
"transition" to IPv6, as many ISPs seem to make it a flag day: one day
you have IPv4, the other you have broken IPv4 + 'working' IPv6...

The major mistake that ISPs are making here btw is marketing:
  they are not informing their users

nor did they ask (or look with netflow) who are using IPv4 in a way that
would not work with the AFTR stuff they just push onto them.

I guess the loss of customers (for the few who have the choice to
change, many are stuck in monopoly situations) or the amount of support
desk calls is less cost than the money expected to be made by selling
IPv4 service to other parts of the company.

Sad that the Internet is so commercial and not about letting people
communicate... :(

Greets,
 Jeroen