SV: CPE Residential IPv6 Security Poll

erik.taraldsen at telenor.com erik.taraldsen at telenor.com
Tue Sep 20 09:00:35 CEST 2016

I'm dealing with the CPE's for Telenor here in Norway.  And indeed a part of the Norwegain discussion.

Today we block incoming traffic to protect the customers.  We seek to have the same security policy as for IPv4.  Meaning statefull firewall which the customer can configure if they want to.  The reason is partly internal policy (Telenor seeks to be seen as the secure internet provider in Norway, disabling firewalls and allowing all of the internets deviants access to the NAS with pictures of your children seems like a bad marketing move).  We also hoped that UPnP/PCP would be activly used in IPv6, punching firewall holes as needed.  But that seems to not get any traction.

As for customer complaints, none.  But that does not mean that the customers are not suffering.  It may just as well be that the application reverts to UPnP/STUN over IPv4 or fails without the customer beeing able to diagnose why.

-Erik