v4 versus v6 -- who connects faster?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Tue May 24 09:56:05 CEST 2016

Vaibhav,

> On May 24, 2016, at 3:51 AM, Bajpai, Vaibhav <v.bajpai at jacobs-university.de> wrote:
> Let me stress this again. This is a toy! Not only because the web
> interface is crappy, but also because the dataset is miniscule.
> Although the dataset has a very good coverage of dual-stacked
> vantage points, the sample size is very small (1 sample / probe).
> This provides a very small peak into the performance of a website.

Welcome to the “if it links, ship it” aspect of releasing tools
on the internet.

> As you know, I have been doing long-term v6 performance measurements
> from (although a smaller set of) 80 SamKnows probes. The 3-year
> long trend shows that performance towards www.facebook.com has
> dramatically improved over time. Using this sample (as of today),
> I don’t see www.facebook.com to be slower over IPv6.
>
> I created this toy to show that RIPE Atlas can be used to provide
> such a service. I decided to showcase to you because I wanted to
> learn if there is interest in having such a service.
>
> With the amount of positive feedback I have received in a single
> day, I’ll be happy to spend cycles to run this measurement for
> a longer duration. This will require also blessing from the RIPE NCC
> because the project will cross all sorts of rate thresholds :-)

I’m happy to support you on the atlas lists and such.  Will you be
presenting at the MAT WG as well this week?

> With permission from RIPE NCC, let me run this every hour from all
> probes for at least a week and then we should look at the results.
> At this point, just play with it, but please don’t use it to declare
> any website faster or slower.

I’ve sent you some credits to get you started on some longer term
measurements. I’d be interested in finding some way to filter out
things like google.com vs google.co.uk etc as you are likely measuring
the same sites and hosts.

- Jared