push apps failing in Android until you disable IPv6

Michael Oghia mike.oghia at gmail.com
Tue May 10 17:10:35 CEST 2016

Hi everyone,

I am an Android user (but not a developer) and an avid follower of
AndroidPolice.com. AP has been reporting about a similar issue for some
time (see: here
<http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/02/some-nexus-owners-are-having-syncing-issues-in-gmail-inbox-and-other-apps/>,
here
<http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/02/10/the-gmail-sync-bugs-fix-is-rolling-out-over-the-next-week-no-app-updates-necessary/>,
and here
<http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/03/24/gmails-synchronization-bug-is-far-from-resolved-users-still-reporting-issues-despite-promised-fix/>).
The issue concerns Android push notifications for Gmail, and many Nexus
users specifically had raised the issue on the Nexus Help Forums
<https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/Ayd_1TOemSE> as well
as filed multiple bug reports on the Android Issue Tracker
<https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=197805>. As you can
read in the third link, it was supposedly fixed in previous builds but the
problem has persisted for some. I don't know if the issue raised in this
thread is the same, but I figured it was prudent to bring it to your
attention.

Since Android Police were the ones who covered it, I also CC'd
Artem Russakovskii, the editor-in-chief. The AP staff may be able to
provide more information in addition to what has been discussed so far.

Best,
-Michael

Michael J. Oghia
Istanbul, Turkey