push apps failing in Android until you disable IPv6

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Tue May 10 15:16:53 CEST 2016

On 10/05/16 14:10, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
> Understood, thanks !
>
> I just read all the Doze thing :-) I also recall something published
> by Lorenzo about power saving in IPv6, etc., however, I still fail to
> see if there is no GUA, why Android is affected using only IPv4.

Well, it is probably a bug. Just could be a bug in a lot of places -
user, kernel, wifi driver, wifi firmware, even wifi hardware. Some of
those are Google-supplied (but possibly manufacturer modified?) but
others are IHV-supplied IIUC.

The fact that IPv6 pulls in a lot more multicast and thus potential wifi
complexity might be related.

It might be interesting to know whether the issue is a failure of e.g.
WMM, so the notify packets aren't being queued to / reaching the
handset, or whether they're being send over the air, but the handset
isn't waking up. Could possibly determine that with a wireshark aircap
on an affected CPE/handset pair if you know the WPA-PSK.

Does the behaviour change if the device is on charge?