push apps failing in Android until you disable IPv6

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon May 9 11:21:59 CEST 2016

I haven't looked for an existing bug to be honest.  I only noticed it
and put 2 and 2 together quite recently and I haven't tried to replicate it.

I saw it on a rooted Motorola Moto G running 5.1.   The situation
was that my ISP (Comcast) had renumbered IPv6 to a new subnet
but had failed to push out the new subnet to the CPE.  My operating
network is behind a Cisco 2800 that runs DHCP-PD to obtain an IPv6
subnet from the Comcast CPE.  During testing to figure out WTF that
Comcast was up to, I happened to reboot my phone during all this and
noticed that my app was showing the phone with a link-local IPv6 address
but no actual IPv6 address.  At that time the Cisco was
advertising IPv6 but it had no usable delegation from the Comcast CPE.
Once I renumbered the Cisco and got my other IPv6 stuff working, instead
of rebooting the phone I tried disassociating it from the IPv6
wifi network and re-associating it, assuming that the phone would
pick up the correct IPv6 now that the router was properly numbered.
It didn't, though, and didn't until I booted it. Because I was much more
focused on what Comcast was doing, I didn't pursue it.

I'll see if I can make it break again and post a followup to this
email in a few minutes if I can.

Ted