Netflix hates IPv6

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 01:02:39 CEST 2016

On 13/06/2016 09:02, Jens Link wrote:
> Robert Hosford <rhosford at certifiednets.com> writes:
>
>> Unless you use HE like I do. Nice Job Netflix.....
>
> Why are so many people complain now? I had this discussion a couple of
> years back (last IETF Meeting in Berlin).
>
> HE can't guarantee that a tunnel terminating in the US is not used by
> someone outside the US. Netflix has to guarantee the content owners that
> US content will only be available to US customers. So Netflix is
> blocking HE tunnels in order to buy content for their customers.
>
> The problem is with the content industry[1] fearing to loose some bucks
> because a handful of nerds want to watch movies / TV shows in the
> original version ahead of time.

It's a bit more subtle than that. A user of a pay-per-view service will
have to pay anyway, but in the country where her tunnel terminates.
(It may need a fictitious billing address with a valid ZIP code.)
Netflix gets its money, pays the royalty to the copyright owner (who
possibly even pays residuals to the artists, but also possibly rips them
off) and takes its profit.

Who loses? The scumbag copyright parasite in the country where the tunnel
originates, who has signed a deal to overcharge local residents for the
service that Netflix offers more cheaply in the US. Sometimes, that scumbag
is also called Netflix - because they can extract more free money that way,
by pretending to operate in, say, New Zealand although all they are really
doing is billing based on geolocation. So they are motivated to detect
this heinous abuse.

So this is actually nothing to do with v6 or HE. TunnelBear users suffer the
same way, for example, once the content providers identify the termination
address as suspect.

   Brian