DHCPv6 relay with PD

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Thu Jun 2 15:11:28 CEST 2016

Hi,

I've talked to several people who claim there are lots of equipment out there
which will happily do DHCPv6 relaying of PD messages, but then not install a
route for the corresponding delegation.

One example seems to be HP 5400zl.

My own experience is only when I did this with a DOCSIS CMTS, which did install
a static route properly. The two other examples I have are with DHCPv6(-PD)
server running on the L3 device itself (no relaying), a Huawei 5300 L3-switch
and a Cisco 7206 router. Both of them properly installed that corresponding
static route as soon as the DHCPv6-PD process had completed the delegation.

I'm looking for experience with other equipment, please share!

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se