v6 naming and shaming - *.europa.eu

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Thu Jun 2 11:40:08 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 18/05/2016, 14:45, Matthew Ford <ford at isoc.org> wrote:

>Many moons ago, europa.eu IPv6 ‘service’ was a reverse-proxy operated by BT. I have no idea what the current kludge is.

I just wanted to briefly follow up in defence of the reverse-proxy as a good design for a HTTP application’s dual stacking model.  Just as in the 4-only world a reverse proxy was a valid deployment model to provide load sharing/performance/tcp session offloading from the back end, etc.,etc.

My personal website today, whilst of course not a major web asset, utilises a reverse proxy to offer service to suffering people on a legacy 4-only connection.  The back end is hosted on a v6 only network, and a reverse proxy is dual stacked.  It’s a perfectly OK model.

Andy