DHCPv6 relay with PD

David Hyrule admin at dhyrule.se
Thu Jul 14 16:44:47 CEST 2016

On Wed, 2016-07-13 at 19:28 +0200, Erik Muller wrote:
> On 6/8/16 20:37 , Erik Kline wrote:
> > On 9 June 2016 at 03:16, Ole Troan <ot at cisco.com> wrote:
> > > Mikael,

> > > It shouldn't be the IETF's job to tell people how to run their
> > > networks.
> > > The IETF provides the building blocks.
> >
> > But this sounds like what's missing is operational guidance on what
> > collections of blocks have been known to work.
>
> The Broadband forum TR-177 guidelines[1] provide at least one
> approach for
> how to put it together, if you need a standards-compliance reference
> cite.  (tl;dr: "if you're a BNG and you relay or serve a PD prefix,
> you
> need to also route it to the client").
> I know Nokia/Alcatel-Lucent 7750s implement routing properly for
> relayed PD
> blocks.  I've had it working on Brocade MLXes and cisco ASR1k as
> well.
> (ISTR an earlier MLX version implemented relay without route
> insertion, but
> that was just as an interim release while they were finishing
> development,
> and likely other gear has had similar times where that half-
> implemented
> feature made it out the door.)
>
> -e
>
> 1. https://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/TR-177.pdf

We went through a few MLX softwares with the problems you described.
IIRC the first implementation did not do any snooping at all, so "show
ipv6 dhcp-relay delegated-prefixes" was empty, and the second did add
prefixes to this table but not route them. I think we went around 9
months from the first to the working version.

Anyway, thanks for the TR-177 document, this is helpful for me in an
ongoing (somewhat related) case with HP about Comware 7 based switches
(like 5130) doing DHCPv6 Snooping but not reading the IA_PD part of
messages. This of course results in a snooping table with only IA_NA
entries and thus IPv6 L2 security breaks Prefix Delegation.

As a sidenote I also discovered these switches have some more issues
with their IPv6 L2 security where hot-configuring them seems to
sometimes partly or even fully break validation of packets. A reboot
makes sure it's really working, but this will certainly be somewhat of
a headache when we deploy IPv6 config to a few thousand switches.
Hopefully it will also be fixed with the software adding snooping of
PD!

/David