MTU/MSS testing IPv6

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Apr 29 08:30:50 CEST 2016

Hi,

I've run into a scenario where a website doesn't seem to be listening to
PTB. I can reach them just fine from an MTU1500 clean IPv6 connection, but
if I reach from a MTU1500<->MTU1480<->MTU1500 connection, it doesn't work.
I don't get the big packets after SYN handshake.

I've been considering asking iis.se (the .SE ccTLD registry) who are
already running multiple testing tools for web sites and domain name
owners) to include these kinds of testing, and perhaps develop more of
them.

So I'd like to gather some information and feedback here.

1. Are there are already FOSS tools out there that could be used for this,
or would be good to enhance to include capability for this kind of
testing. I don't want to waste work, and if I can enhance FOSS tools
already existing and also solve my problem, that's a double win.

2. Test cases? From my testing, I've seen two different behavior just in
the last two days:

Site A as described in top paragraph, probably doesn't listen to PTB. Can
be either because they drop PTBs, or traffic traverses a load
balancer/IPv4v6proxy that doesn't correctly handle PTB.

Site B which sends all data packets as fragments. This is most likely
because they have some kind of AFTR where the IPv4 side has MTU1500 and
the IPv6 side has MTU1320 or something like that.

Neither of this is of course optimal, and I'd like to be able to test for
these and tell the site owner that their solution either is broken or
suboptimal (the fragment case isn't strictly broken, it's just not a good
way to do things).

Opinions? Thoughts?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se