Slow WiFi with Android Marshmallow & IPv6?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Apr 26 18:56:05 CEST 2016

On 4/26/2016 1:37 AM, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt<tedm at ipinc.net>  writes:
>
>> 3rd party:
>>
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/rdnssd-win32/
>
> The question is: Why would any "normal" user care enough to install
> that?  Heck, I don't even bother running rdnssd on my (Debian) laptop.
> I run BIND instead :)

I would assume that a network admin with hundreds of win systems in a
domain could put this in a GPO or login script, if they were really
anal about not setting up DHCPv6

However, the truth of it is that this program almost certainly was
created to prove that RDNSS CAN work on Windows and that there is
no technical barrier to it working on Windows.

It allows people like me to embarrass Microsoft sales droids at the
various presentations I get dragged to that Microsoft puts on by
proving this decision is just more Microsoft baloney attempts to
politicize the industry.

The conversation goes like this:

Sales Droid:  "Blah Blah Microsoft products are so great Blah Blah does
anyone have any questions"

Me:  "When will Microsoft fully support IPv6"

Sales Droid:  "Let me have my trained technical monkey answer that"

Sales Engineer: "Microsoft fully supports IPv6"

Me: "No, it doesn't.  It does not support RDNSS"

Sales Engineer:  "RDNSS can't be supported by Windows because of
jammin on the jim jam frippen on the krotz baloney technical reason"

Me:  "Oh really.  Then you better tell the author of THE PROGRAM
THAT MAKES IT WORK ON WINDOWS that his code don't work.  In fact
I'M USING IT RIGHT NOW"

Unfortunately, since I don't spend $100M a year with MS that's when
the uniformed goons show up to throw me out of the Microsoft
Worship Church Service AKA Dog And Pony Show.   Then I go over to the
Cisco Worship Service AKA Dog And Pony Show next door and have some fun
with them.

The day that a customer who does spend $100M a year with MS demands it,
is the day Windows will support RDNSS.

> But let's face it: name-server config is not something that interests a
> large group of end users. Any feature which is not part of the default
> OS installation is not worth considering at all.

is that a fact?  I suppose you don't use SSH then to access your
command line servers and devices. <eyeroll>

Ted