Slow WiFi with Android Marshmallow & IPv6?

Jeroen Massar jeroen at massar.ch
Tue Apr 26 12:31:38 CEST 2016

On 2016-04-26 10:52, Thomas Schäfer wrote:
> @Jeroen
> Thanks for the definition of router and cpe.
>

> But the chain of problems must be long:
>
> dead DNS-resolvers by isp
>
> dead DNS-resolvers not recognized by the "cpe" as a cache resolver

Dead-detection is a standard thing. Only apparently Android does not do
this.

> slow/no switch to alternative DNS-resolvers at the enduser device.

The enduser device uses the CPE, if that does not work for whatever
reason the user will just consider this as "broken internet" (as they do
not know better, and they should not).

Their first thing is to power off then power on the device, if that does
not work, they will call their ISP for support who will then do whatever
magic to fix things.

> All three instances with bad software / without monitoring?

When all ISP resolvers are dead, the ISP will have a *LOT* of support
calls (which is a costly thing).

That next to hoping the monitoring they have in place.

If they do not have functioning monitoring in place, and also actually
check those alerts, I don't think one should consider calling that "ISP"
a ISP. But yes, those places do exist. Likely this does not happen
though when they dogfood their own servers, which is likely, as then
their own stream of cat pictures stop functioning...

Best Internet monitoring well over a decade ago: Gamers playing Quake...

Greets,
 Jeroen