Samsung phones block WiFi IPv6 when sleeping, delayed notifications

Benedikt Stockebrand bs at stepladder-it.com
Thu Jun 11 12:01:58 CEST 2015

Hi Tore and list,

Tore Anderson <tore at fud.no> writes:

> There was another thing I thought of, though. We have a wireless
> network with two redundant upstream routers that are not running a FHRP
> like VRRP. Active/passive, since they do stateful inspection of
> traffic. My solution to facilitate reasonably speedy failover from the
> active to the passive router was to have a quite low RA lifetime, so
> that the clients would quickly stop using a router that went offline.
>
> Maybe I could instead leave the RA lifetime high, but set the reachable
> time low, and depend on the client doing NUD. Would that work? In this
> situation the clients would after a failover have two default routes,
> where one has a next-hop that fails NUD. Do you know if clients in
> general Do The Right Thing here and ignore the route that fails NUD?

ten years ago I've fooled around with various Unixen (FreeBSD, Debian,
Solaris) with this.  I don't remember off the head if this was using the
router lifetime field from the RAs or NUD or both, but it did work quite
reasonably.  IIRC I managed to get the failover time down to around 5s,
which is still a lot for VoIP, but pretty reasonable for a lot of other
purposes---like TCP standard retransmit intervals, for example:-)

Cheers,

    Benedikt

--
Benedikt Stockebrand,                   Stepladder IT Training+Consulting
Dipl.-Inform.                           http://www.stepladder-it.com/

          Business Grade IPv6 --- Consulting, Training, Projects

BIVBlog---Benedikt's IT Video Blog: http://www.stepladder-it.com/bivblog/