Samsung phones block WiFi IPv6 when sleeping, delayed notifications

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 10 15:17:02 CEST 2015

> On 10 Jun 2015, at 13:42, Jeremy Visser <jeremy at sunriseroad.net> wrote:
>
> On 10/06/15 18:23, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
>> are *all* IPv6 packets blocked, or just multicast packets? I know
>> that a number of devices will drop multicast IPv6 packets.
>
> On that note, some wireless access points have the ability to convert multicast packets into unicast packets.  Both the Cisco and HP systems I have access to support this.
>
> Believe it or not, it’s actually billed as an optimisation, as unicast packets generally use a faster modulation than multicast.  Makes sense, because if you send only one copy of a packet wirelessly, all devices (even the ones with the crappiest signals) need to be able to receive it reasonably reliably.
>
> If that option is available to you, and if this is specific to multicast, this may be an interesting hack.

That reminds me, we had an interesting ‘feature’ here where we were seeing triple copies of RAs and also Bonjour messages. The discussion about that led to this info:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-0/configuration-guide/b_cg80/b_cg80_chapter_0100110.html <http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8-0/configuration-guide/b_cg80/b_cg80_chapter_0100110.html>

which I assume is aimed at those doing multicast video streaming of IP TV or similar (as we do here). That may have some impact on multicast for IPv6.

Tim