Samsung phones block WiFi IPv6 when sleeping, delayed notifications

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 10 11:28:32 CEST 2015

> On 10 Jun 2015, at 10:20, <erik.taraldsen at telenor.com> <erik.taraldsen at telenor.com> wrote:
>
>> I see that. I don’t think the problem is confined to Samsung or that it can be completed solved in isolation from fixing wireless AP router behaviour.
>> At the edge of the WiFi network I also see the IPv6 connectivity dropping while IPv4 stays up. I’ve a ZyXEL home router that sends periodic RAs every 15 seconds
>> and a Huawei home router that sends them every 1800 seconds.
>
> Any opinions on what a sane default value for what the RA interval should be?  I have not conserned myself with that interval before, but I see that the residential devices we ship are on a very low interval.

I believe our Cisco equipment defaults to 10 minutes (600 seconds). There will also be RAs in response to RS messages.

I’ll try to grab some stats on observed RAs from our campus eduroam network, where we have IPv6 deployed to a few thousand users with BYODs every day. I would guess such stats have been reported elsewhere already, but a few more observations might be useful/interesting.

Tim